Thursday, June 20, 2013

Hexy 2013, Round 6: The Disappointment in Sandy

So.... Salt Lake City.   Of all of the domestic stops in the Hex, it's the one I knew the least about.  What did I know?  Mormons, mountains, and RSL.

I'm not sure I know a lot more about the city itself after the trip; though I think I learned something about the RSL supporters in the process. I really only know one thing for sure:


One month. Three qualifiers. Nine points.

Ok, so maybe there are a few more certainties.

Let's start with the current form of one Josmer Volmy Altidore: en fuego. Jozy not only scored his fourth goal in four games with a terrific finish, but was a living nightmare for the Honduran back line the entire the second half. There was seemingly nothing the Catrachos could do to stop him.

CONCACAF refereeing continues to be—to be generous—inconsistent. The Surinamese referee was at least generally consistent with his calls, even if they were bizarre at times. He also missed what I consider the denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity when Clint Dempsey had a header stopped by the hand of a Honduran defender.

Despite all the positives about the team's play—the dominance in the second half, being first in the Hex, etc—the thing that still stands out in my mind about the game was the support. Sure, the same could be said about the amazing atmosphere in Seattle; unfortunately, this time the parts of the atmosphere that stand out to me are mainly negative.

The supporter end was disjointed. There was a drum, but it was in one corner of the section; it made coordinating songs very difficult. Me and my loud mouth tried to echo the other sections, but it didn't always work out. Having Honduran fans in nearby sections surely didn't help, either.

The section where I was also kept starting the "you suck, asshole" goal chant... and also followed it up with "puto". I can't describe just how angry that makes me. I was happy to see that others near us were also not joining those chants. There was also a round of "you go down like a Tijuana whore". NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Finally, allow me to be blunt: Salt City United is a pathetic excuse for a supporters group; really, they're a bunch of Euro-aggro-wannabes acting like petulant children. Flying their club-related flags (or a flag with a machine gun on it) was pretty bad; doing it during play in front of everyone was worse. Thankfully, I couldn't really hear some of the chants they started on their own; I can only imagine they were pretty awful.

In my mind, it's simple: games are not for letting out your aggression as if you were a teenager let out of your parent's house at night for the first time. Flying your middle fingers constantly isn't edgy and cool; last time I did something like that, I was in high school, and it was stupid. See also: constant cursing. I may have a sailor mouth at times, but I know when the times are that it needs to be put away. Also—and this should go without saying—no racism, sexism, or homophobia. Not cool.

I wish I had a better impression of my SLC experience. For a place infamous for being in a religious choke hold, there definitely seem to be some interesting pockets of subculture. I'm not sure it's somewhere I'd want to go again, but the city wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It's a shame that everything on that trip has been colored by a terrible supporter experience.

Three months until we all meet again.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Sadly, I know what you mean about SCU. I moved to SLC when I was 22 and when I first encountered their earlier incarnations, it felt kind of fun and funny to flip people off and yell horribly vulgar things because I was 22 and didn't know better.
I have since moved away, but remain a huge RSL fan. When I went to see RSL play an away game this past March, I ran into them again for the first time in many years (amazingly enough, they do not travel to things like Western Conference Finals or really away playoff games for that matter) to find them still singing the same vulgar songs and still do the same stupid stuff they were doing 7 years ago.
Seriously, 7 years, nothing new? Sad. But, in a lot of ways SLC though becoming more diverse and open is a bit of a bubble and that is what you get sometimes.
SLC as a city, though, is awesome, at least if you like the outdoors and enjoy hiking, biking, skiing, etc. It's not very congested, property prices are good and your neighbors are always really friendly.

Anonymous said...

Great post- I agree about Jozy & the refs, but I am especially interested in your comments about the supporter culture. I cringed every time the YSA chant was audible on the TV coverage... the puto shouts were less obvious. As you are aware, this goes on in quite a few MLS venues, but some supporter groups ARE working on diminishing this. I have personally told some uninformed supporters “ We don’t say that here” or “Keep it classy”, but that can be a dicey move with the overserved!. Supporter culture can changed- it takes education and social media will be crucial for this. Chants should be smart, funny & creative!

Unknown said...

Salt City United didn't exist 7 years ago. Cool story though.

Anonymous said...

Nor were there any fans there representing SCU in any way, you need to get your facts straight and stop spreading rumors.

kj said...

So, you're telling me that I didn't see a group of guys in the front of section 9 wearing black shirts that said "Salt City United"? I didn't know if their group until I read the shirts.

kj said...

Er... "know of their group".

Unknown said...

I believe it's the American Outlaws that have the gun on their flag... I'm glad the blogger didn't specify one supporter group, because there were at least four just near the south goal. Matt, on the other hand, definitely needs to get his facts straight.
For what it's worth, most of us wish there was more unity in the chanting as well!

Unknown said...

This is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time... I'm glad you didn't have a good experience in SLC. Go cry a river somewhere else http://www.jerzeedevil.com/gallery/files/7/5/5/creepy_crying_baby.gif

Unknown said...

Gotta love people that cry on the internet

Unknown said...

matt you realize this is only RSL's 8th season, Right? and kevin, what in the hell are you talking about. it would depend on when you saw these shirts.

Unknown said...

And the "no racism, sexism, or homophobia" where was any of that at the game... I'm just glad a whole 8 people that made it to the game from one support group with 50+ memebers gets the blame for the whole southend and ruined your day. You're welcome AO

pewplikker said...

"Racism, sexism, homophobia" how about tolerance for supporting in your own way. no one was hurt unless you count your feelings, and ears. pockets like scu are good for our society. they keep the squares on their toes.

Unknown said...

Care free, where ever we may be, cause we are the famous SLC!!!, And we don't give a fuck, whoever you may be, cause we are the famous SLC!!!!

Unknown said...

No one likes us
No one likes us
We're Salt Lake City and we don't care

Unknown said...

Kevin, for only seeing the back of some shirts with SCU on them and being in the supporters section for one game, you sure have a pretty strong opinion of SCU. If 8 members ruined your SLC experience that much, don't come back. You're not welcome!!

Unknown said...

From Kevin's Twitter...

"It seems that my #unsexyhexy post from last night has riled up a few people already. Good. It's time for a mindset change for US supporters."

Kevin, just because you "riled" up a few people, doesn't mean anything is going to change. Different people support their teams in different ways. Just because one group does things you wouldn't, doesn't mean any mindset but your own needs any change. Try to be more open of new people, places and experiences. Most of the fans were great that night, especially the Honduran fans. I wish I could say the same for many of the American Outlaw members who seemed to whine and cry about everything...just like you are doing. If you don't like Salt Lake City (which is apparent from your post and Twitter feed), then don't ever come back.

kj said...

Thomas:

I'm not sure you could have missed my point any more; I just don't think it's possible.

"Try to be more open of new people, places and experiences."

I find it funny that you're posting that on my blog about traveling to other countries.

I have no plans to change my mindset if that means tolerating homophobic, sexist, or racist chanting. That isn't a "new experience"; it's reprehensible behavior that needs to be done away with. I don't care where we are, where the people in the crowd come from, or who the opponent is; we, as American supporters, should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Unknown said...

Yeah leave SCU out of this shit. You have no idea what you are talking about. A few people in the crowd wearing black shirts and having tattoos does not mean SCU.

We are different because we want to be different. We don't want to fit in with you cookie cutter style of supporters. There needs to be variety, so that's why I like RSL supporters. We have many sides. When you come into someone else's house and tell them how they should act a certain way, refuse to cooperate with there chants, and then bitch about the crowd being quite the fingers are pointing at you. Get off of your pretentious soap box and shut the fuck up. There are many different types of people in the world. Not everyone wants to be like you just because you think you are the greatest thing that has ever walked.

Unknown said...

Kevin:

I don't think you could have missed my point any more, either.

But it's ok. I will go on with my life, while you will go on with yours....and you'll bitch and moan and cry about the world. Do yourself and everyone else a favor, and just stay home.

Dave DuJour said...

Thomas,

Sounds like your point is that racist, sexist, and homophophic chanting is "different" and "okay". If so, I'm glad Minnesota took the (rumored) $75,000 of RSL money, flew to SLC, and still beat them 3-1 last year.

Either way, racism, homophobia, and sexism don't belong in any sport (or anywhere in the world, frankly). We should start by eliminating them from this sport that we support.