Saturday, October 12, 2013

Hexy 2013, Round 9: Barbecue, Barbecue, We All Eat Barbecue

Kansas City. I've been here so many times over the years, mainly for two things: bowling tournaments and soccer games. Each time has been terrific in its own way; this trip has been no different.

We left Minneapolis Friday morning at 7am. We stopped in Des Moines to shop at a fantastic liquor store, Beer Crazy; our stop was much longer than expected, because we decided to sit down for lunch next door at Saraj Restaurant & Bakery. Should you ever find yourself in the Des Moines area, I suggest eating at Saraj; I had a delicious (and huge) Bosnian gyro.

After we got back on the road, Kansas City awaited. Wrangling twenty-five-plus people in various vehicles for a trip is... well, interesting. But, we got everything figured out with the hotel and headed to Sporting Park. (Note to self: quit leaving your camera in the hotel.)

Sporting Park is, as I've mentioned before, a cathedral of American soccer. They got so many details right when planning the stadium. The sight lines are amazing; the roof does a great job of holding in the noise; oh, and it has energized a previously-quiet soccer scene in KC. The atmosphere last night was fantastic, especially after two quality goals from the US.

Speaking of play, Graham Zusi remains the real deal. It was obvious that the team was more engaged after he came in at half time, and were finally able to break down a resolute and organized Jamaican defense. Zusi's finish on the first goal was terrific; the cross he put in for Creepy Uncle Sacha Kljestan was exquisite (and spoiled only by a great save by the Jamaican keeper).

Other notes: The central defensive pairing of Besler and Cameron was very solid. The midfield was a bit iffy at times; Michael Bradley is definitely missed. I'm still waiting for Aron Johannsson's good work to turn into goals; Jozy had a poor first half but was much better in the second.

Overall, a terrific result. Clinching top spot in the Hex was marred only by Mexico's win last night over Panama.

Today, my friends are likely finishing up their barbecue at the superb Oklahoma Joe's; me, I'm waiting on a delayed flight to Atlanta. I must say that the KC airport—even with its weird layout—is a pleasant place from which to fly; even the TSA staff is exceptionally friendly.

I'm in Atlanta overnight, since luck would have it that Minnesota United is playing in Atlanta tonight. (Come on, you DETHLOONs!) On Sunday, my friend Andy and I are off to Panama, for the last game in my Hex adventure.

No comments: